Tuesday, September 30, 2008

En Gedi (no, not Getty Lee of Rush)

This word is found in the 1st Chapter of Song of Songs and means "a fountain or oasis in the desert" The context for this is the marriage relationship in which the Peasant Princess is telling Solomon what he means to her. Our pastor made an interesting relate to this and talked about the importance of having our homes be En Gedi. In that our job, stress, commitments, bills, etc is the desert and we need to make sure our homes are the En Gedi and specifically being careful to ensure that nothing else (hobbies, other relationships, career) take the place of this.

Buttercup and I had a very open and honest discussion on the way home from Church, in regards to how I have treated her and our girls over the years, has really prevented our home from being En Gedi. Although this was very difficult to hear and as much as I wanted to deny it and come up with some good excuses, I knew she was right (as she usually is!). Instead of focusing on what truly matters (relationships with those in the home), I have spun my wheels by thinking I am doing my part by providing a house, furnishings, making decisions, head of household, etc. Why is it that I can put so much effort into improving my Job skills but yet can't seem to put the same effort into being a good Husband and Dad? The roles that are most important to me (Husband, Dad) I seem to give the least effort in and the ones that I seem to be least skilled in. What is holding me back from giving everything I have to becoming a better Husbad and Dad?

I really do want to provide a home that is En Gedi to both Buttercup and the girls, but when it gets right done to it, maybe I've never really known how....

1 comment:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Simple answer. The reason we don't put the same kind of effort into doing things like serving God and making our homes and lives more God honoring that we do our jobs is that we stuggle wth understanding the payoff. In the career world, effort and intensity is rewarded, so the cause and effect is easy to see. It's not so easy to directly see in spiritual matters (try wrapping your mind around eternity for a while!), so we defer to the thing we think directly makes a difference in our family's lives, perhaps consoling ourselves with "By suceeding and making more money, I'll really be giving my family a better life."

The solution? Not sure I have it. I think, based on the reading of the great saints of the past, is to become so consumed with God and His glory that we see the "payoff" as directly as we currently see our job effort. "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" says Jesus in Matthew 6:21.