Sunday, October 26, 2008

Dayeinu

Dayeinu is Hebrew for "it's enough". I tend to sometimes (or always!) make things harder than they need to be by looking past the obvious. What's that phrase about the forest and the trees....Why you ask? Most times I don't want to do the actual work needed to change but would rather focus on the bigger picture, thinking the solution can't always be just to try harder, there has got to be a bigger, better solution. A solution that possibly has a counseling and/or spiritual spin on it to make me appear smarter than I actually am. The reality is that it usually is a smoke screen that lets me try to talk my way out of the situation and avoid doing the work.

I experienced Dayeinu this past weekend in a great way. TBO (The Beautiful One) and I had a really great weekend together after an extremely hard week both on the work and home front. It was truly a relaxing, stressfree weekend where we connected emotionally in a way that we haven't in quite a while. I asked TBO why she thought that we were having such a great weekend and were connecting so well and she said something that was so simple but so powerful: "You really made an effort". My first response was "that's it!". It can't be that simple, there has got to be a "bigger" explanation for this....then I ran across this word as I was finishing a book on Grace yesterday (Sin Boldly by Cathleen Falsani- worth the read)

I chuckled to myself of the irony of how God spoke to me right there, through that little word and reinforced what I realize so often lately, that TBO is right on.....Now, I need to focus on putting my time and energy in the "effort" and not looking for excuses, solutions or in my case, work arounds....

No comments: