Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kiros

I was speaking with one of the dad's in our Parenting group that Buttercup and I are attending and since he happens to also be in sales, asked me if I had heard of Kiros. It is a group of Christian business leaders (mostly "C" level executives) from companies Seattle and the Eastside that get together on a monthly basis for breakfast and to hear from a speaker. It is a great networking opportunity, since you have decision makers there from a wide range of companies in the area.

I went to my first Kiros meeting on Friday morning and although I ended up going by myself, I enjoyed it and got much out of the message. The gentleman who spoke has been in the Accounting Field for the past 40 years and has recently retired to half time as one of the partners in his firm. The message was entitled: "Duty station: Marketplace" and the subject was: Can and should business people impact the moral and ethical fiber of our communities and America? He made a great statement that we cannot expect our Politicians to be the ones who will impact the moral fiber of our country and our companies, because they are not doing it.

I do believe that the mission field in is our place of business and the key question remains: Am I making an impact to my coworkers or my customers? Do they see anything different in me?

A blessing came out of this meeting as a gentleman who is also in our Parenting Group told us on Wed. that he had just lost his job that day, was able to attend this meeting. They happen to have a transition group that meets after the monthly meeting that helps those who are looking for work. He was able to attend this meeting and I hope that he was able to get some doors opened as he has a wife and kids to support.

No comments: