Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Who or what is your cornerstone?

For those of you who know me realize that I probably could never be mistaken for a contractor or builder, which is probably wise that I choose sales as my profession. However, even I know that one of the very basics of building anything is to start with a strong foundation or cornerstone (there's our word) to build upon. In 1 Peter 2:4, it describes Jesus as a "living stone" and in 1 Peter 2:6 it states "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious..." Is Jesus my cornerstone? Lets get back to that in a bit...

As I listen to this being preached on Sunday the obvious question that came to mind is what kind of foundation have I built my life and my families life on? What is the one thing or things that are the crucial stone or cornerstone that is evident in my life? If this is evident based on my actions or responses it could be a wide range of things, some good some bad. Worry, pride, stress, possessions, identity, Jesus, The Bible, relaxation, anger, to name just a few. However, can I put my finger on the one cornerstone?

Now, back to my original question. If I say that Jesus is my cornerstone and my true identity, shouldn't Jesus show up somewhere in my life? In other words, shouldn't the stones in my life that are connected to the cornerstone (which is everything) represent Jesus? Do I daily remember that my true identity is in Christ and that we who call Jesus our Lord and Savior are part of a Royal Priesthood (1 Peter 2:9)? Maybe this explains why so many times in a week, month, year that life seems to be so out of control or fragile that it feels like breaks or stones are about ready to break. When I choose to go it alone and to try to "build" things on my own, why am I so surprised when they start crumbling?

We don't have to worry about coming up with a answer to who our cornerstone is because our words, works and wealth will reflect this.

No comments: