Wednesday, August 20, 2008

15 years together

Today, the spectacular Buttercup and I celebrate 15 years of marriage. We have the opportunity to get away together and had a wonderful time down in NoCal. I am a firm believer that you need to break up the day to day minutia of life every now and then and celebrating our Anniversary was a great excuse to do it. I want to first thank Toirdhealbheach Beucail and Mrs TB for their gracious hospitality and putting up with us for a night and even giving up their bed!

As the famous saying goes: "It is not the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away". One of these moments came on our flight down to SF as Buttercup was in awe of the beauty of the world at 40,000 feet. I have been known to kid her about how emotional she is and how in touch with her feelings she is. However, I must admit that it made we realize at that moment, with tears in her eyes how wonderful of a person she is and how truly honored I am to be able to be able to call her my wife.

We had the pleasure of attending our old church down in cowtown and it was a blessing to have people still remember us and to be truly happy to see us. Pastor Jon was gracious enough to mention us from the pulpit and we even had a chance to catch up with him and his wife over coffee the next morning.

We also took a beautiful drive up to Napa Valley and had an amazing lunch on the sunny patio at Napa Valley Grill. Sitting there with my beautiful wife in the sun, with great food and wine, another one of those "does life here on earth, get any better than this?" We then stop at the beautiful Domaine Carneros winery and had a great time sitting on the patio and have a wine tasting.

Our last day in NoCal we did the touristy thing and spent the day in SF and rode the trolley down to the Warf. I loved being on the trolley and seeing the unbelievable views and enjoying the mild weather. I think I had forgotten one of the fun things about being in a big city is people watching and being in SF, you are never disappointed. However, the # of pan handlers really got to Buttercup and confirmed in her mind that she is not a big city girl.

I have to include a funny Buttercup quote from the trip. We were driving in Dixon and noticed these trees that were bark less. She looks at me and says "it's so hot that even the trees lose their bark!"

Here's to an even better next 15 years!

1 comment:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

We were pleased to have you visit! I'm glad that we could be a part of your 15th!

Sounds like you had a fabulous rest of the trip. There are no truly bad days in the Napa Valley, and Buttercup confirms my opinion of San Francisco.

When you were down at the Warf, did you say "K'ploch" to Commander Worf?

On a side note, the trees do in fact have bark here...perhaps if you could point to it with your index finger next time, it would be more noticeable...