Sunday, July 13, 2008

Long obedience in the same direction

This was a quote by Eugene Petersen that I heard mentioned recently by my favorite Pastor, Mark Driscoll. Mark Pastors Mars Hill Church which is viewed as a Biblically conservative but Culturally liberal church. I listen to his sermon pod casts while I am working out and when I am traveling...but I digress. This quote has really been speaking to me lately as I have been struggling over some things. I tend to want changes to happen quickly and when they don't, I get frustrated and negative.The Mrs and I had a great talk last night, albeit after one of my "meltdowns" where I flew off the handle way too quickly at #1. We have been having a hard time lately with school work with #1 and I don't seem to be able to show any patience or grace to her about this. I am not sure why grace is something that I don't seem to be able to give others. One of the things that struck me during our conversation was that in relation to my struggle with control, it really centers around Fear. This isn't something that is easy to talk about or even really think about. When I look at my life, I have realized that I have a lot of fear in me. I have a hard time letting go of myself and fully trusting God. The Mrs has been telling me that until I get to the end of myself, I cannot fully trust God. I know that she is right on (even though I don't want to hear it) but for me it is much easier said than done.

No comments: