Sunday, July 27, 2008

Teenagers!

Now that we have a teenager in the house, it has become apparent (almost on a daily basis!)that we as parents are no longer cool and that we don't know what we are talking about. For example, any idea that comes from either Mom or Dad is instantly shot down or frowned upon where as that same idea (i.e music, book, craft, clothing) that comes from her, is really cool? In a book that I just finished and strongly recommend (Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker) it gives a great suggestion in how to deal the the attitudes or as they are now known now a days as simply the "tude". Since every response that we tend to get from this age group is met with sarcastic verbal and non verbal tones, she suggests simply remaining calm and not letting them get you riled up and not responding with anger or emotion. To most of you who are must smarter than I, this may sound like a "duh" statement but for me this is much easier said than done. This is one area that I need to get much better at and I am sure that I will have many opportunities to do this!

And we thought the baby stage was challenging....

No comments: